Status: Nothing significant remains
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria del Cañón was the third of three missions built on the San Gabriel river, then known as the San Xavier. The others were Mission San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas and Mission San Ildefonso.
Drought and disease plagued the San Xavier missions, which were abandoned in 1755 after one of the padres was murdered by a soldier from the nearby presidio.
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria was re-established in 1762 in the upper Nueces Canyon at the behest of Lipan Apache leaders. By 1766, the mission consisted of an adobe structure and several huts. Fields had been cleared but were poorly cultivated.
The relocated mission came under pressure from Comanche raids, and support from the local Apaches dwindled. It was abandoned in 1767.
Site of the
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria del Cañon
Established by the Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and Christianizing the Coco, Mayey, Orcoquiza, KaranKawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of the mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the Sabinal River for the conversions of the Lipan Apaches with the same name ofMission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria del Cañon.
Erected by the State of Texas (1936)