Status: State Park
Location: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, TX 78205
Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo) was established on May 1, 1718 as the first Spanish mission along the San Antonio River. The mission was moved several times before it was located at a bend in the river that would be easy to defend.
The early mission buildings were built of sod and wood. The first stone structure was built in 1727, and the current stone structure was built in 1744.
The mission remained active until 1793, when mission activities in east Texas were ended.
The name Alamo may have originated with a company of soldiers from the village of “Alamo” (La Compañía de Alamo de Parras), who were stationed at the mission in the early 1800s. The word Alamo means “cottonwood” in Spanish.
In 1805, the army built the first European hospital in Texas at the fort.
During the Mexican Revolution, the Spanish and the Mexicans fought for control of The Alamo. The Mexican army occupied the site from 1821 to 1835.
In October of 1835, dissatisfied Texans of both American and Mexican background united to push out the Mexican government and form the independent Republic of Texas.
The Texan rebels seized The Alamo in December of 1835, and held it until their defeat in March. Over 5,000 Mexican soldiers, under the command of Mexican General Santa Anna, besieged The Alamo. All 187 of the defenders were killed in the attack; the Mexicans lost over 1,000 men in the fighting.
The Alamo is open to the public year-round. The landscaped mission complex includes exhibits on Texas history, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library, the museum shop and gardens.
Historical re-enactments are frequently scheduled.