Status: Nothing significant remains
The original mission, Mission San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas, was relocated to the San Marcos River in 1755, and renamed Mission San Francisco Xavier de los Dolores.
The following year, the mission was closed and its assets were transferred to Mission Santa Cruz de San Sabá.
Site of the
Mission San Francisco Xavier de los Dolores
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the San Saba River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the new name of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba.
Centennial of Texas Statehood 1845 – 1936