Status: Active Catholic Church
Known As: The Queen of the Missions
Location: 6539 San Jose Drive, San Antonio, TX 78214
The mission was founded in 1720, because the nearby Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo) had become overcrowded. Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo was named for Saint Joseph (San José) and the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo, the governor of the Province of Coahuila and Texas at the time. It is the largest of the Texas missions, and due to its size and beauty, it is called the Queen of the Missions.
The first buildings, made of brush, straw, and mud, were quickly replaced by large stone structures.
A stone church, which is still in use, was constructed from local limestone in 1768.
The mission remained active until 1794, when mission activities in east Texas were ended.
The structure was fully restored by the WPA (Works Projects Administration) in the 1930s. In addition to the beautiful church building, there is a museum and a park store on the site.
La Ventana de Rosa, the Rose Window, is located on the south wall of the church sacristy. According to legend, Pedro Huizar constructed this for his beloved Rosa who was lost at sea coming to meet him in the 1770s.