Status: Active Catholic Church and State Park
Location: 120 Park Rd 44, Grapeland, TX 75844
San Francisco de los Tejas was the first mission built in the Spanish state of Texas. Although there are earlier missions in what is now west Texas, when those missions were built the land was in Mexico. The original mission was near the present-day town of Weches, Texas. It was probably built of logs, since pine forests are plentiful in the area.
Another mission, Mission Santísimo Nombre de María, was built nearby on the Neches River, but was destroyed by flood soon after.
The mission was abandoned in 1719 due to French claims on the land, but it was re-established in 1721.
In 1731, the mission was moved to the San Antonio River area and renamed Mission San Francisco de la Espada.
The original site is located in Mission Tejas State Park, near Weches. There is a log church that is a rough replica of the original mission building. The park also has hiking trails and camping facilities.